Sunday, January 10, 2010

Winter Time Blues

Little has happened in our wonderful lives here in Nebraska. Let me tell you why. Because we can't leave our house on a regular basis! We are enduring a terrible winter. Our first snow storm came December 9th.. Justin and Bug went out and shoveled the drive way by hand (since we don't have a snow blower). Bug had fun that time, because it wasn't bitterly cold and windy by then...

The second storm came a few weeks later...Christmas Eve to be exact. We decided to go over to Justin's parent's house that evening to spend time with them. We brought an overnight bag JUST IN CASE. We needed it.....for three days! We didn't get home until late Saturday evening and thus our family Christmas was postponed until Sunday morning. This is what we came home to on Saturday. The foot prints are from me. The snow went half way up my thigh! (Notice that our porch is completely gone)

Justin's dad had to come over Sunday morning with his snowblower...because there was no way we were doing that by hand if we didn't HAVE to!
The kids got to open their presents right before dad and grandpa went out to tackle the driveway... to summarize, this is what they looked like all morning...

Then, of course, the THIRD storm came last week. We were confined to our house for another three days, since we don't have 4WD (and even then, it wouldn't have mattered). I'm strongly considering leaving this frozen tundra in the near future. Luckily the forecast is calling for a heat wave (30 degrees...opposed to the -30 ALL last week) and lots of the snow should melt....just in time for a predicted FOURTH snow storm that is supposed to hit in a week or so and dump another 18 inches on us! My information is heresay, but SERIOUSLY!!!! ANOTHER STORM????? Where are we going to put the new snow? We don't have room for the snow we already have! Heaven help my sanity...because another week of being snowed in with nothing to do?!?.....not good!
SOOOO in an attempt to lighten my frustration, here are some thought (said to be from Jeff Foxworthy)that I have recently found to be mostly true and applicable to my life here in Nebraska.
Enjoy!
If you have gone from "heat" to "A/C" in the
same day and back again, you live in Nebraska.

If you design your kid's Halloween costume to
fit over a snowsuit, you live in Nebraska.

If driving is better in the winter because the
potholes are filled with snow, you live in Nebraska.

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter,
winter, still winter and road construction, you live in Nebraska.
If you have more hours on your snow blower than
miles on your car, you live in Nebraska.

If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow
during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in Nebraska.

If you find 10 degrees "a little chilly", you
live in Nebraska.
I sure love the place when it's green and warm, but I'm DONE with winter!

3 comments:

Jessica and Jim said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I can't believe you got snowed in over Christmas!! I hope your kids didn't mind waiting for their gifts!

Anonymous said...

betcha Seattle's rainfall never sounded so good!

Katy said...

I loved the jokes! It totally made me laugh. Just remember, if the snow isn't too deep we are down the street ready to hang out and play. you are always welcome to come get some sanity at my house.. Well, maybe my house is a place for fun, not sanity :) you guys are awesome!